Larry Ullman's Book Forums

I just picked up a copy of this book yesterday and am eager to start learning. Just wanted to say hi to everyone else in the community. You'll be hearing from me alot, as i'm eager to learn and help as I go along.

My Experience: HTML/CSS

Editor: DreamWeaver

No real experience with PHP/MySQL

Expectations: I basically want to start being able to do some freelance projects when its all said and done. I'm 16yrs military, so this is starting as a hobby, and hopefully turn into more.

Thx for reading!

</Unpredict2ble>

You are really lucky you found Larry's book first, i am on chap 17 now. I have done a few other books but they didn't gear me up for making anything, Larry's book seems to be the only one available that can bring all you learn nicely together. Welcome to the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Newbie here as well,

I have had the book for quite some time but only just picked it up, eager to learn.

I have basic html skills have used dreamweaver for some time and have an established website going well in Australia,

I have downloaded the programes xampp, apache, mysql, php - changed my PW,

but I don't understand how the testing server works Chapter 1, 5 "place the file in the proper directory of your web server

any help is much appreciated.

Ash

If you're using XAMPP, then by default, you need to place the file somewhere under the htdocs folder in the xampp folder.

Once you've done that, start up the virtual Apache server from the XAMPP Control Panel, and then specify the path to the script in your browser URL bar as if the htdocs folder is localhost.

In other words, if you have a script called test.php in the htdocs folder, then you would type the following URL in the URL bar in your browser:

localhost/test.php

Similarly, if test.php was in the abc folder in the htdocs folder, then you'd use the following URL:

localhost/abc/test.php

Make sense?

• Upvote 1