Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Flex Development / Actionscript Or Html5 / Javascript Route

I just finished your books on PHP and am wanting to focus my efforts now on more front-end development. Even after doing research, I'm still caught wondering if I should invest my time in learning Flex since everyone is quick to suggest that anything related to flash is dying a slow death and HTML5 is the future. Recognizing the incredible investment it takes to be well versed in a new language / framework what would you suggest? Does Adobe Edge suggest that Adobe is even moving away from Flash, AND their is the ultimate big gorilla of iOS mobile development never happening for flash.

I hope I haven't thrown to many questions at you, I would just like to know of the best route to go considering the trends / future needs and your advice has never failed to be spot-on.

Thanks for your questions. I really liked Flex, but considering all the recent changes, I could not recommend pursuing Flex at this point in time. For those of use that already know Flex, I can easily see still using it for a while, but not in your situation.

• Upvote 1