Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Pg.52

pass VARBINARY(32) NOT NULL

Can you explain why you have used VARBINARY(32), I check SHA256 and it produces 64 Hexadecimal characters. But what i don't understand is why does the value stored in VARBINARY in my database look like this:

c73863752feb895c30cb9e6978d7624d7542712ae17c8b505c5c5c225c5a1762

Why is a varbinary value not stored as zero and ones? The number i have looks like hexadecimal.

I created my password using this code:

return $mysqli->real_escape_string(hash_hmac('sha256', $password, '*^%#$567644#', true));

Good questions. First of all, the reason I choose to use binary data instead of character data is that it'll be slightly faster. It's really a minor point, but the kind of minor points developers make.

Second, what you're seeing is a character representation of binary data. zeroes and ones are not character representations.

Just to confirm, the registration-login system is working for you?

• Upvote 1

Yes i got everything to work, including the sessions, the issue i had with sessions was that i had used my live website for the redirect function and not my localhost where i was testing. I have have remaining pages to make the login.php, change_password, and reset password. I don't think i will have any problem problems now.

But still how do you know you need exactly 32 for the varbinary? I am confused there, i searched online but i am not seeing that?

I apologize about the other post, i was really trying my best to get my project done, i saw you answer more recent people's posts but saw you ignored mine. I have 10 warning points, are these really necessary, i have helped some of your people today and yesterday, what have i done to deserve that?

Edward, I very much appreciate your helping others. And I appreciate that you want to get this project done. However, you don't seem able to use the forum properly for your own needs. In the 10 years I've run these forums, no one has had the issues you have. I have never, for example, had to disable anyone else's ability to PM because of abuse. The first 5 warning points were for sending PMs that you should not send. The second 5 were for deleting your posts in one thread, posting a thread just to ask me to reply to another thread, and for making comments in your profile feed directed towards me. These are all completely unnecessary. They are also impositions on me and on others, and they degrade the quality of the forums. I'm trying to provide free assistance to people needing help here (primarily oriented towards readers). And I want to do so in the most professional, efficient, and stress-free way possible, which is what all the guidelines attempt to do.

In plain language, here's how it's supposed to work:

- Post a message, providing all the necessary details.

- Wait patiently. Hopefully in a day or two you'll get an answer (assuming that you provided all the necessary details).

That's it. That's it. Ideally, it's best if people post a message indicating that a solution was found and the problem was solved, but not everyone does that.

Here's what you don't do:

- Private message people for ANYTHING that doesn't need to be absolutely private.

- PM or double post to bring attention to a question or thread.

- Make accusations (e.g., calling what I do a "money making scheme" or suggesting that someone hasn't answered your question because of your avatar).

- Delete messages for almost any reason.

If any of these items isn't clear to you, or if it isn't clear why those are rules, just ask.

Personally, I answer questions three days per week. Some days I don't get to everyone on a given day, and will do so the next time around. Sometimes, when people abuse the rules (such as double posting or using PMs), I do ignore or delete posts, as I plainly state in the forum rules.

Finally, as I say in the forum guidelines, I and others are providing free help to strangers here. We all do so at the cost of our own free time and often time spent we could be making money doing other things. I do not believe it's unreasonable to ask people to abide by some simple rules under these circumstances.

• Upvote 1

In the time i have been learning also or in any faculty did i ever get warned for discussing the topics I was learning to find one's expression in order to tailor my own view points. I only wrote PM's to be members here as they were reading your books also, so i wanted to know what they thought about these things. I don't know anyone locally or have any friends that do programming, so here is the only place i can ask them. I mean what else could i do make a form post saying "Hartley San - Your Views on MVC Please", i thought that would of been less appropriate, since most of the forums are only for asking questions about the books. I can see members here hanging around for a while then later disappearing, and others like Antonio, Hartley San and me that hang around, for me these are people of value and their opinions on coding counts for me. Who knows what happens to the others maybe they move on learn more, or maybe they just give up, who knows.

With regards to people being strangers here, is that what we really are, how long do you call someone a stranger for before you can say you know them? Don't some of us have any value here?

I understand we all need to make money, i also think to myself, what is the point of answering other people's questions, i don't even know who they are so why should i waste mine time with them? It all has to come down to having a good enough spirit to answer, so i do my part like you do but when the time is right, or i can get an answer in with Hartley San always beating me to it.

I will abide by your rules, next time i will edit my first post if i have to write in an update, ill mark it in red. I really need you and need to be a part of this forum, i like to write my project diary, it helps me to keep focused, and i hope it may help others.

Regarding PMs, I was specifically referring to the inappropriate PMs sent to me, such as questioning my religious beliefs or asking me to look at questions you've posted. Or the one in which you outright insult me. I don't know about your PMs to others, except that you have apparently bothered one person that I know of. But your ability to use PM is permanently blocked because of the PMs that I know about.

To be clear: none of the forums are specific for asking questions about a particular book. None.

Instead of sending a PM to HartleySan to ask his opinion, or creating a forum thread with that subject line, how about just posting a new thread asking for input on MVC? Then anyone could respond and everyone could read the responses. That's the whole point of the forum: anyone can help and everyone benefits. You should reread that last sentence, because it explains my perspective in running these forums: anyone can help and everyone benefits. Moreover, asking specific people for specific input, in PM or otherwise, is an imposition and could drive them away. You cannot make demands upon people when they're helping you for free.

Are people really strangers here? Depends upon what your definition of "stranger" is. I don't, for example, know your real name or anything about you. If you and I were in a room with one other person, I'd only have a 50-50 chance of identifying you on the first guess. I know a little bit about HartleySan and Antonio and some others but... Also, just because I use the term "stranger" doesn't mean they aren't valued. I would argue the fact that strangers are willing to provide free assistance to others is a wonderful thing, very generous and unselfish. It's easy and natural to help people you know, but it's something else to help people you don't. So my use of the word "stranger" is to lower people's expectations and make them aware of being appreciative. It's not a slight on anyone.

How about instead of editing a post, you just add another post clarifying, adding the solution, etc.? That way people see all the information and the progression.

• Upvote 1

I don't really want to bring up the past especially after i already made a formal apology which was accepted, i can't keep people on the forum they can leave at their own free will.

I appreciate you spending the time to right this long lengthy response, you have your points but i also have mine. May be i didn't want to write openly because i didn't know who i was writing to and i wanted to get the opinion only from someone i knew here had more experience. There is that and there is your point about helping others and everyone benefits, well we are left with the point that this place is yours, so i must follow your rules, like if i was in your home i would probably have to take of my shoes before i came in?

Larry I want to have a good weekend coding my project and i hope you will get some rest too, i will follow your rules. Please no more disagreements between us.

Your Forum Friend Edward.