Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Chpt 17 - Help Me Understand How To Do The Insert Statement

I really do not understand how to enter the sql statement that is shown on page 527 related to inserting the values into the languages table.

The way it is written with the foreign language characters has me lost. I am using terminal and just do not understand how you can enter the characters (such as the Japanese, etc). I have looked into using the actual code for the characters, etc. I finally gave up and used myPHPadmin so I could cut and paste. <-----I really would like to learn the terminal way though so I understand it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Your OS has to be set up for entering characters in a particular non-English language or you cannot do it.

This is especially the case with Japanese (I work as a Japanese translator, so I know).

For most OSs, it's pretty simple to add support for inputting various languages, but unless you know how that language works and how to type in it, it's kind of pointless to do so anyway.

For the table you're referring to on page 527, I'd just copy and paste the code and not worry about it.

I don't think Larry was expecting you to actually input all the names of the languages in their respective languages.

If you really do want to input all the foreign language names in their respective languages, then I would recommend learning how to set up the input methods for all those languages in your OS, and then learning enough about the grammar, etc. for the languages so that you are able to properly input the right characters for those languages.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember where in the book (in fact, it may have been a previous edition), but somewhere in the book he mentions that he got all those foreign language strings from random people who natively speak those languages.

Point being, Larry did not write those strings himself. He merely copied and pasted what other people gave him, so don't sweat it.