Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi

Im almost nearing the completion of this book I wanted to dive into effortless e-commerce ... I think I have basic understanding of most concepts ... would that be a big jump?

How can I solidify my understanding of the fundamentals? I was thinking of simply going through the book again and may be ask questions on anything that is not crystal clear that i may have the jist of?

I really want to build my own ecommerce store ... but didnt want to jump ahead of myself I think I have a good understanding of most of the topics ...

any advise will be appreciated

I think that going from this book to the e-commerce book is a good jump. There will likely be things that you don't understand at first, but for myself, the only way to learn is to continually expose myself to new things while constantly reviewing old things again and again.

More specifically, the things I found challenging in the e-commerce book that you might want to bone up on in this book first are the following:

- MySQL queries. There are some really complex queries in the e-commerce book. Make sure that you are comfortable with joins in particular and understand DB theory.

- Security and validation. It's as important as ever for e-commerce, so make sure you understand why validation is important, and in in general, how it's done.

- Regular expressions. Yes, everyone's favorite (sarcasm). Try to at least be able to understand the easy ones.

I can't think of anything more now, but maybe someone else will come in and comment.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks your advise is much appreciated ....

Ill bear the points in mind that you have mentioned ... Im actually going through a tutorial on regular expression to further my knowledege in that as well as Jquery and CSS, (I think the book has built the foundation Im finding most stuff quite straight foward now ... apart from security its still a bit complex I think)

Many thanks.... Ive got my copy of the effortless ecommerce book a while ago I didnt look at it as I didnt want to get distracted ... i think I will dive in and see if I can survive through it :-)

To hassan

I think if you have finished this book it will be enough to start the effortless ecommerce book as the Advanced PHP book doesn't really cover much of the stuff that is needed for the book. Also I would recommend you build your own small practice site just to drill those factors in. Would be best to do a site to start mixing in coding conventions from chapters 17, 18 and 19. If you do that everything will sink in and Effortless should be a walk through as it's also explained extremely well.

Thanks Edward that is a brilliant Idea to sort of do my own minin project based upon the last few chapters ... Many thanks for that

Thanks again HartleySan .....

I started of with almost zero knowledge of programming I was really worried that it will be too complex for me .... But every day I learn more and its I really enjoy it ...

I will do what Edward mentioned there after I will give the Effortless Ecommerce book a go .... Im sure I will be back on here to ask questions .... This is the best forum Ive been on so far ... everyone here is very helpful ... I usually do a quick search before I post to see if someone has posted a similar issue and I have found that ... most issues have come up ... and usually its just a silly thing like trying to access the PHP page directly rather than the server serving it via HTTP:// etc ...

Many thanks All for helping me :-)

Glad you're enjoying the forums. Also, all problems always seem silly once you finally solve them, but they're annoying as can be when you don't know what's causing them.

My recommendation on the e-commerce book is to go through it the first time without getting too caught up on everything, and once you've gone through it once and have an idea of the big picture, then go back as necessary to refine various points.

And, of course, we're here to help in whatever ways we can.

Good luck.