Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hartleysan I Have A Question To Ask You.

Hartley,

I've notice that you live in Yokohama, Japan from the description under your profile picture. I've been to Japan many times and I love it there. I'm half Japanese and although I can't read and write Japanese fairly proficiently, I can have a decent conversation. Even to say that, I doubt I can work at a Japanese company, so what I wanted to ask is if there are many web development(mainly PHP) jobs around the Yokohama and Tokyo area?

The short answer is yes, there are a fair amount of web development jobs available in Japan, even if you don't speak Japanese. The following two sites are the two main job-search sites in Japan (which feature jobs for Japanese and non-Japanese people alike):

http://www.careercross.com/en/

http://www.daijob.com/en/

Also, while having less job postings, I've found the following two sites to be more "gaijin"-friendly, and in general, to have more jobs geared towards foreigners (meaning that if you apply for a job through either of the following sites, you have a much better chance of actually getting a job):

https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/

http://www.jobsinjapan.com/?loc=JJA_IT_Technology

With all of that said, if you'll indulge me for a minute, I'll tell you about my experiences in Japan.

I'm from Ohio in America and I've been in Japan for 7 years now, spending most of that time working as a translator and technical editor of documentation for a major electronics maker in Japan. For most of my 7 years in Japan, I've also been interested in web development and wanted to get a career started in that field just like you.

The simple reason I have not made the leap from translator to web developer in Japan though is not because I couldn't, but because all the job offers I have received in the web development field are no good.

If you have little to no previous experience as a web developer (and if you can't speak/read/write Japanese that well), then any job offers you get will likely be low pay and 80+ hours of work a week with no overtime pay.

The reason I know this is because I have received several web development offers myself, but they've all been of the type described above (and I even speak almost fluent Japanese).

Actually, I've more or less become fed up with the job situation in Japan, and as a result, I am planning on moving back home to America with my family in the near future, and am planning and hoping to get a web development career started there.

While I don't know what the future holds, one thought that crossed my mind was to work in America as a web developer for a while, getting my experience up, and then returning to Japan to hopefully get a real web development job here someday.

I would probably recommend the same thing for you as well. Certainly, if you don't mind a lot of work with low pay, then you probably could get a web development job (most employers tend to prefer Japanese and half-Japanese foreigners over white foreigners like me), but please keep two things in mind:

1) Without a Japanese work visa (and I'm assuming you're not a naturalized Japanese citizen), your options are limited.

2) You will likely have to travel to Japan for all interviews, which you will likely have to pay for.

So, yeah, I think using the jobs site I linked to above is enough to find PHP jobs, but actually getting a job that pays well and doesn't require a lot of work could be tricky.

As I mentioned before, I'd recommend getting a web development career started where you live now, studying Japanese in the meantime (passing the JLPT1 would be ideal), and after doing web development for 3 years or so, think about looking into Japanese options if you're still interested.

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask any further questions if you have them. I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can.

Thanks.