Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Web Host Offering To Host 5 Databases. How?

I have a choice of hosting packages with my current host. If I upgrade I can have 5 databases. But as each database is accessed from a home page, I don;t see how 5 index.php files can work. Do I have to put four of the index.php files in separate sub folders?  What is the best way of exploiting the capacity for 5 databases?

Guest Deleted

I'm not sure about other databases but I've never seen a MySQL database that has anything to do with index.php or any other page for that matter. It's a completely separate entity. Now, you can access a MySQL database from a php file but that doesn't mean the two are the same.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you for your replies. You both misunderstood my question. A website has a home page, either index.html or index.php say. Links on the home page allow users to login or register with a database. As I see it, to utilize five databases the home page would need five different links. In other words, the offer of five databases is of little value. If I want more than one database, I would be  would be better off putting each one in separate websites with its own home page..

konfused, you don't need five links on a single web page to access one of five DBs. In a PHP script, you could easily choose which DB to use based on the information a user submits without giving the user five different links.

With that said, I wouldn't use more than one DB for a single site anyway.

However, my hosting company gives me two DBs, and I use them both because one is for my main site, and the other is for side projects and web apps in my portfolio.

Many thanks Hartley San

The site I am using allows an add-on site, his means I can follow your system and access one database from the add-on site and another from the main website, I think that means that the optimum number of databases on the server is two.

Guest Deleted

Thanks.

And hmm, looked at the website but I didn't see any information about those home pages (referring to what you spoke of in this comment, "But as each database is accessed from a home page") Could you take a screen shot and show us?

You have misunderstood again. There is no home page for accessing five databases. My question was how can I ever make use of five databases? and the question was hypothetical  My last reply to Hartley San resolves this .i.e., with the addition of an add-on website I could only ever access two databases, so why is this host offering five?.

Different people like to break things up different ways.

Some people like to have multiple DBs for a site. With the exception of really big sites though, I see this as overkill, personally.

In addition to your main site and any add-on sites, you may want to also set up an API for people, which generally requires a back-end DB powering everything.

My site currently uses 3 separate databases, although I could easily see there being one or two more. I use multiple databases as a security measure, and to make working with any of them much easier (because I don't have to even look at unrelated tables).

The answer to the question of why they offer 5 is that they can. It's a snap to offer that and some customers will appreciate it the extra database possibilities.

Guest Deleted

Konfused: Oh! I see what you mean now. Well, I use multiple databases, because I have multiple sites. Each site has its own database. These sites do not in any way interact, so it makes sense to have separate databases. If I had everything in one database it could get confusing trying to remember what goes to what site.

I also second Larry on this being more secure. If somebody breaks into one database they don't have access to all your data for all your sites.