Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Can'T Access Phpmyadmin After Changing Root Pw

***I Figured this out but couldn't figure out how to delete this post so I'm leaving it here (should have read Appendix A - pg A9 more carefully ;) ****

So I was using phpmyadmin just fine until it was recommended to change the root PW.  I changed the PW and then when I try to re-access PMA it tells me the below.  It appears the passwords are conflicting some how - like it thinks it still has no password even though I added a new pw.  When I followed the directions in Appendix A to change the PW via Terminal it didn't work, so I used PMA to change the password and it worked.  I believe I changed the PWs for both "localhost" and "user" but can't remember since I'm now locked out.

Error

MySQL said: b_help.png

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

From Appendix A if you are having this same problem as above, just open the config.inc.php file for phpmyadmin and below where it shows = "" just enter your new password inside the quotes (eg, "testtesttest").
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';

Actually, Appendix A doesn't mention what I found on another site:

http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50085&sid=e1b0673313f6384712a765a424514435&start=15

Can somebody confirm/deny what this guy is saying on another forum with regards to making a change to the code below?

Re: phpmyadmin can't access mysql after changing localhost P

icon_post_target.gifby hackattack142 » 31. May 2013 03:24

You should not be putting passwords in my.ini

As for config.inc.php, if you want to use the password in this config file, you need to change this:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
from 'cookie' to 'config'

Thanks for the reply.  I was having some issues getting this to work and the major issue was just not hard coding the new password into the PMA config file.  At this point I'm comfortable with this and was more or less leaving it up in case it can help somebody else.