Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Regular Expression - When Are They Commonly Used?

Obviously regexs are one of the more complicated things to master.

Since I have a limited amount of study time, I'm curious how important it is to understand regexs, and to what degree?  I have a basic understanding...

In other words, am I better off crossing that bridge when I get to it (and then searching online for regexs that others have developed)?

Are regexs found in many PHP web applications? 

What are the most common instances that you would see websites needing regexs?

Thanks!

Regexes are used to find patterns in strings.

I personally think that regexes are very important and should definitely be learned, but with that said, I fully acknowledge how tricky they are and the truth is that most regexes you need nowadays can be found online easily enough.

So yeah, if you're new to everything, I think you can skip regexes for now (I know I did; it was a while before I finally came back to them and wasn't scared off).

But yeah, regexes are commonly used for things like validating user input (making sure validate email addresses and passwords, etc.) are entered, and searching for various patterns in text and replacing any text matched by the patterns with whatever you want.

Really, the scope of regexes is huge and they can be used for just about anything, but I think that's the basic gist.

• Upvote 1