Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi, Larry:

Big fan of you! Bought two of your books PHP 6 and Mysql5 (isbn9780321525994) (not sure which addition as it does not seems to say in the book) and Effortless e-commerce recently trying to learn php and mysql.

I love the scripts in the book, well written and easy to understand by a beginner. I feel I am learning a lot.

Having trouble to import the sql_utf8.sql file to my local XAMPP, seems you have lots of databases in this file.

I am trying to do chap 15 message board, is there a single sql for that chapter I can download?! My XAMPP has many practice databases, I get constant error messages of importing your big sql_utf8.sql as some of the database names are already used.

I really appreciate if you can send me a sql for chapter15

Brooke

Hello Brooke,

Thank you for the nice words. Very much appreciated. And to confirm, the PHP 6 and MySQL 5 is the 3rd edition (it doesn't say third edition, confusingly enough, because of its specific title). As I believe it says at the top of the SQL file, you shouldn't try to import that entire thing. It's not meant to be used that way; it's intended for readers to copy and paste the commands as needed (there's no point in creating an import-able file, as some of the commands change the structure of the databases, so you'll need to be able to have both "before" and "after" versions).

As for the SQL for Chapter 15, in order for me to send you just that, I'd open the big SQL file, find those commands, copy them, paste them into a new file, and save it. I'm literally leaving the house right now (after I post this response), so I wouldn't be able to do that until Tuesday. It'd be faster if you just did that yourself (open the big SQL file, find those commands...).

Thanks again for the nice words!