Larry Ullman's Book Forums

So I followed the directions and created all the files from Chapter 15 (the message board). I have everything working except for a couple of issues, and when I downloaded the source files and tested them, those same issues still exist. So I'm thinking it would be something to do with my database or something and not the files themselves. There are no errors, just a couple of things aren't working:

1. No dates are showing up for the forum posts.

2. A couple of the languages (the Asian ones) are showing up as question marks. I'm thinking this may be because I don't have those fonts installed on my computer, and that to someone viewing this from another computer, it'd be fine. But I'm not sure.

3. The language-selection menu is just acting weird. I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to work, but this is definitely not right. Clicking on several of the languages simply shows the English forum and does not display anything in that language. The ones that don't work are Nederlands, the first of what are probably Asian languages, Portugu, and Srpski.

Any help is appreciated!

I can't answer all your questions, but #2 is definitely an encoding issue. Somewhere along the line, you're probably not using UTF-8 or something.

As for the dates, make sure that they're in the database first, and if they are, make sure you're actually retrieving them properly. If that's okay, then check the displaying of them.

I haven't gone through the message board script, so I cannot comment on #3. Sorry.

• Upvote 1

The reason the dates aren't showing up is because you haven't installed time zone support in MySQL. See Chapter 14, I believe. As for why only some forums work, not all forums have language keywords and/or postings, so they revert to English (per the code).