Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hosting Uk Or Usa

Having just got Effortless E-Commerce I am thinking about using VPS hosting in the US, but since most of my website members are likely to be in the UK at least to begin with, I am wondering whether this is a good move. When I registered on this forum, it took nearly 10 minutes to get the activation email whereas when I send and receive emails between my UK addresses it is virtually instant. Can someone tell me what kind of time lag I could expect for UK users accessing a website in the US compared to a similar quality hoster in the UK.

I wouldn't take how long it took to receive this email as any sense of things. There are too many considerations there. If I were you, I might be inclined to get UK hosting, but I wouldn't be bound to it.

I wouldn't take how long it took to receive this email as any sense of things. There are too many considerations there. If I were you, I might be inclined to get UK hosting, but I wouldn't be bound to it.

Using email arrival time wasn't a good illustration, but all the same the routing issue is something I would like to consider as the quality UK hosting that I have found so far seems to be quite a bit more expensive than that in the US.

I suspect that routing time over the pond may pale into insignificance as I will be providing full text searches on a very large database of text and individual pages of content will be anything from about 1K to 100K so having found out about Apache bench in the book, I would like to factor in all the other variables - a further excuse to delay launch :) - Another excellent book by the way Larry.

regards

Jon