Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Here's an interesting article and intro to NoSQL:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-explosion/no-sql-new-databases-new-applications-400

The concept is that traditional relational database management systems (RDBMSs) such as MySQL are too slow to handle the demands of sites like Facebook, etc. NoSQL DBMSs are an attempt to resolve this issue by removing a lot of the checks performed in RDBMSs.

A lot of the NoSQL solutions lean towards JSON notation for storing key-value pairs, which promises an easier interface between the application and database.

Well, it all seems rather new and only for the big boys at this point, but nevertheless, something interesting to read about.

I think Facebook only uses the Cassandra DB for their inbox systems. Or at least they started with that, maybe they've rolled it into all DB management. I read your article a while a go Larry, but as I've said before to HartleySan, it's sometimes hard to even keep up with the web and its development! Plus I wasn't sure how applicable learning a new DB would be to a smallish project. I'm actually planning a big personal project, maybe I should try out a new DB :)

Thanks for the article HartleySan and your initial one Larry.

Well, it seems like this is very cutting edge, in the sense that companies that need this sort of thing (e.g., Facebook) are creating their own custom DBMSs as they go, and while they are seeking greater immersion, there's no guarantee at this point.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes on this. Thanks for the links, Larry. I should check out your blog more often.