Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi Guys

I am having problems with my login scripts. I have adapted them slightly towards my own site so I'll post the bits that are relevant. Basically when I submit the login form it keeps coming back and telling me that the username has not been entered. Using an echo i can see that the username field is indeed blank, what I cant understand is why this is happening. the password field is fine.

I'll post the relevent parts of the code, hopefully someone can help cus I'm a bit stuck here.

This is the relevent part of the login_scripts file -> login_functions.inc.php from the book.

function check_login($dbc, $username='', $pass='') {
// setup the array that will handle the errors, errors will be passed to this array and then printed at the login screen
$errors = array();
if (empty($username)) { // make sure that the username field has been filled in
 $errors[] = 'You forgot to enter your user name.' . "$username" . "$pass"; // if it hasnt then place this string into the errors array at the next location
} else {
 $u = mysqli_real_escape_string($dbc, trim($username)); // make sure that characters that could disrupt the SQL statement are escaped and then whitespace is trimmed
}

i know that by the time it gets to the $errors[] bit that the username field is already empty

this is the login form

<div id='loginForm'>
 <form action="login.php" method="post">
  <p>Username :
  <input type="text" name="username" size="20" maxlength="40" /></p>
  <p>Password :
  <input style="margin-left:7px;" type="password" name="pass" size="20" maxlength="20" /></p>
  <p><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Login" /></p>
  <p><input type="hidden" value="TRUE" name="submitted" /></p>
 </form>
</div>

and this is the login.php file

if (isset($_POST['submitted'])) {
require_once('login_scripts.php'); // the file containing the scripts that control the login process

require_once('../lowisoconnect.php'); // the database connection file

// check the login

list ($check, $data) = check_login($dbc, $_POST['username'], $_POST['pass']);

can anyone see any reason why my username field would be coming back as blank?

thanks in advance for any feedback. its probably something incredibly simple.

function check_login($dbc, $username='', $pass='') {
else {
 $u = mysqli_real_escape_string($dbc, trim($username)); // make sure that characters that could disrupt the SQL statement are escaped and then whitespace is trimmed
}

Shouldn't it be trim($_POST['username'])? As it is, I think you are applying trim() and mysqli_real_escape_string() to the default value of $username, i.e. an empty string.

Hi Josee

Thanks for the reply, this is correct. the IF statement has actually already returned $username as being empty in the first part of the statement, my script doesn't get to the piece of code you highlighted because it has already failed the first condition