Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Am I Using The Correct Book

Hi

I'm pretty competent with HTML and CSS and needed my next step to be to create a dynamic site. I therefore bought this book. However, I've come unstuck already with the Apache server.

I've never worked with Web server applications before, so don't understand the terminology and don't quite know what to do with it now it's downloaded. I've been on the Apache site but am now more confused than before. So am thinking that I should start with the quick start guide book instead.

Before I rush off to Amazon to buy the quick start book please could you confirm that it will give me a step by step intro into setting up and using a Web server application from a real beginners point of view.

BTW I have tested the server by keying http:/localhost into my browser and I'm getting the "it works" message. So It's loaded correctly but when I key key in the extension /first.php I'm getting 'the webpage cannot be found' error message so now I'm stuck!

Thanks for your help

Deb P

I can't help you with Apache, but someone else will, but in case you haven't considered, you can run your site on a real webhost. That's what I do. It's a little more work and trouble to transfer your files each time you want to test but for me it's worth it, not having to install a server on my older computer. It will probably cost you a little money also but if you take your site live you will have to spend it then anyway.

• Upvote 1

Don't worry, Deb, you shouldn't have to worry about Apache to start with the book, and I don't think using the QuickStart Guide will make any difference on that subject.

How did you install your local server? Did you use a package such as XAMPP or MAMP?

Also, you should read the forum rules and add the requisite information to your signature: every time you ask a question on this forum, people will need to have precise information about the different versions you are using in order to help you.

I hope this helps,

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DebP

I have been writing php and MySQL for a couple of years now and have only ever used a server. Nowadays they are so cheap it isn't worth messing about if you can't get Apache to work on your PC. Set up Filezilla or similar for your ftp and register with a server company (there are many). Spend as much time as necessary to set up user permissions and SQL tables etc. and then just upload your php texts and run them live. You can stop people finding your site by accident by using the html 'meta name="robots" content = "noindex"' tag in your header.

I have followed Larry's book from beginning to end and although I have been frustrated to the point of tears many times, this is absolutely no reflection on the book, which I think is great. Just remember the the S's...Syntax, Syntax, Syntax.

If you've got a Web server up and running, then the problem is with the particular script. Either you haven't saved it in the right location or it doesn't have the name you think it does. The latter can happen when you use certain text editors like Notepad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for your responses and sorry for taking so long to respond. My hard drive crashed for one last time and died! I Now have a shiny new hard drive and the dowload worked a treat.......well almost....

I've created a new thread with my next problem - to do with my php.ini file.

Thanks

Deb