Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Help With Using Certain Features And Questions

Hi all/Larry,

I have been reading your e-commerce book and I am very impressed with it. First off, I am new to web design and I use a WYSIWYG to build my html pages. There are features in your book that I would like to add to a site I am working on for selling my new e-book. What I am wondering is if I can just create a new file placing your php code in with an include function calling my previously made html pages?

Also, due to the nature of selling an e-book I would not need the ability to log in to my site in the future. Can I just leave that portion out or will it disrupt the rest of the code you have provided?

One last question, I have not read through the part about the site selling physical products yet so I apoligize if this may be in there but I am trying to figure out a script for sending a link to the customer's email once they have paid with paypal that would allow them to download the e-book file. Is that something that is difficult to code and is it possible to limit the amount of times the links will work?

Thank you to everyone that looks at this post and gives advise as this is my first e-commerce attempt and I would like it to be well thought out and planned.

M. McCoy

I have been reading your e-commerce book and I am very impressed with it. First off, I am new to web design and I use a WYSIWYG to build my html pages. There are features in your book that I would like to add to a site I am working on for selling my new e-book. What I am wondering is if I can just create a new file placing your php code in with an include function calling my previously made html pages?

Thanks for the nice words. Just to be clear, the book does assume complete comfort with PHP and MySQL. Part 3 of the book is going to get into some advanced stuff that will be hard for you if you don't have the fundamentals down.

As for your question here, if I understand you, you'd want to copy the HTML into the PHP script, not the other way around.

Also, due to the nature of selling an e-book I would not need the ability to log in to my site in the future. Can I just leave that portion out or will it disrupt the rest of the code you have provided?

You can't just leave it out, you'll need to adjust all of the code according to your needs.

One last question, I have not read through the part about the site selling physical products yet so I apoligize if this may be in there but I am trying to figure out a script for sending a link to the customer's email once they have paid with paypal that would allow them to download the e-book file. Is that something that is difficult to code and is it possible to limit the amount of times the links will work?

No, a link to download something wouldn't be relevant to selling physical products. But that concept is easy to implement if you know PHP and MySQL.