Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Error Message Instead Of Products Page

Hello Folks!

I have downloaded ecom_scripts_ex2.zip from http://www.larryullman.com and installed this on my Mac mini server.

The homepage and category page seem to be running fine, but the products page (myserver.local/browse/coffee/Kona/3) shows the error.html message.

According to the book this page is shown when the related db tables aren't populated or if the connecting mysql user does not have EXECUTE permissions.

This does not seem to be the case, because the mysql user is 'root' and has access to everything. Also the DB tables are filled with their regular demo content.

First I thought the problem was with the expired end_date of the sales products, but changing this didn't solve a thing.

By executing the query: CALL `select_products`('coffee', '3') in the mySQL admin I can retreive all the matching rows, so my PROCEDURE should be ok.

At the moment I'm clueless, so I hope someone can lend me a hand on this. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Jeroen

There's not a real detailed error message. Just the regular: "Error! Unfortunately a system error has occurred. Please use the links at the top of the page to continue shopping. We apologize for the inconvenience" as seen in error.html

Are there any functions i can call to see more details?

• Upvote 1

It sounds like you're taking the right debugging steps, but you would get that error if the stored procedure query is not returning any rows. If you're using the code downloaded from the site without altering anything, then the problem must be between your PHP script and the database.

Thanks Larry, but I'm still in the dark here :(

It seems I'm not getting $type, $sp_type, $sp_cat or $category variable. When I look at the Firebug / Net timeline I can see 'GET 3' is not getting any response.

The select_products procedure can't be it, because I can call this with the same user when logged in the php admin.

I have doublechecked my config. Also compared my browse.php file with the source. All seems to be correct.

I haven't got the faintest idea where to look,.. any suggestions?

Okay. If the problem is that the variables don't have the right values, then your mod_rewrite isn't working. I assumed your variables were working, which was the basis of your CALL `select_products`('coffee', '3') attempt.

The succesfull CALL attempt was done in my SQL client (HeidiSQL),.. So yes the problem must be in the mod_rewrite. I checked for comparible situations on this forum and tried for what worked for them, but it all doesn't seem to work for me :-(

I tried adding the line: Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks -Multiviews to my .htaccess. No Luck.

I tried restoring the httpdconf.php to basic settings with php5_module enabled. Nothing.

What else can I try to get to the bottom of this?

Something else I figured out on the goodies and sales page is that they display the same categories as the Coffee page. However, the select_categories procedure call works correctly for 'other' in my SQL client.